Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Friday, November 23, 2012

{ Cocoa Cupcakes }



Welcome to Christmas!



Now that Thanksgiving is over here in the United States, the Christmas season is officially upon us!

Today is Black Friday. Also known as Maim and Injure Day. For the most part, I stay home, in my PJs and shop Amazon. Today, I will be wandering out, but not until later, and not for Christmas gifts.

I need a new tree. Our old tree has served us well for many years, but it's time she was retired. I will miss her.

I really want a slimmer tree. Not the pencil thin trees, but a nice, not so chubby tree. Sorry chubby trees. You are beautiful, you are just not the right fit for my house. So, I will brave it. For the sake of Christmas decorations.

I hope you all (in the U.S.) had a lovely Thanksgiving. Mine was small this year with only my parents, my grandmother, my mother in law, and my grandmother in law. In the morning, as I was cooking, we (Hubs, Bean, and me) stopped to watch a bit of the Macy's Parade, then after everyone left we watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Oh, Clark!!!

It was unseasonably warm (64) here in Ohio, so I did get a few lights put up outside. I won't lite them until tonight though. I'm having a party tomorrow, something I've done for nearly my entire marriage. It's an Ornament Party. When we first started, we'd all make enough ornaments to exchange, but pretty soon, we just had TOO MANY ornaments. Now we just do a make and take at the party, play silly games, and eat yummy food. We all look forward to it every year.

I just LOVE Christmas, don't you?


This is really just my S'mores Cupcakes adapted for Christmas... but...whatever works, right?

I'm so excited to shared Christmas recipes with you. I have so many planned. Let's just hope I can get them all made a posted!



Happy Christmas ~ Tina



 Cocoa Cupcakes

Cupcakes:
24 Chocolate Cupcakes, baked and cooled
2 Graham Crackers
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1-2 Hershey bars

Chocolate Glaze:
4 Tablespoons of Butter
3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa
1/2 Cup Confectioners Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2-3 Tablespoons HOT water

Marshmallow Buttercream*:
 2 Sticks (1 cup) of Butter (softened)
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
2-3 Tablespoons Heavy Cream or Milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1- 7 oz container of Marshmallow Fluff
 1/4 teaspoon of salt

Topping:
crushed candy candy or pepermints
coarse sugar
red sprinkles


I make up these Cocoa Cupcakes the other day. Like a good cup of cocoa, they are chocolate, chocolate, marshmallow, chocolate, and a little mint.

Crush up one candy cane. Add a tablespoon of coarse sugar (or regular works fine), and a tablespoon of red sprinkles. If you want more mint flavor, you can crush more candy canes.

Bake up 24 chocolate cupcakes & allow to cool.

Now, make your chocolate glaze.

Melt the butter in the microwave, then add the 3 Tablespoons of cocoa. Mix well, add in your 1/2 cup of Powdered Sugar & 2 Tablespoons of Hot Water & 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Whisk until glossy. If too thick, add the 3rd Tablespoon of Hot Water.
Drizzle over cupcakes. You can also dip your cupcake into the glaze, twisting a little as your take it out to get rid of excess chocolate.






Let the glaze set up while you make your Marshmallow Buttercream.
In a mixer, add the 2 Sticks of Butter. Beat for about a minute. Then add the 2 cups of powdered sugar in a little at a time. Next, beat in your Vanilla & Marshmallow Cream. Now add your milk/heavy cream 1 Tablespoon at a time. If thin enough, stop there. If not, add more.
This is not a firm buttercream, keep that in mind. It's a softset & kind of a little sticky.
Top each cupcake with a nice sided dollop of the frosting. You don't need to cover the whole cupcake. 
Sprinkle finished cupcakes with the sugar/candy cane mixture.

If you like more mint flavor, add a teaspoon of peppermint extract to your Marshmallow Buttercream.


*My Marshmallow Buttercream is adapted from this Vanilla Buttercream Recipe

 

4 comments:

  1. These are stunning! I braved shopping (during the day, not at midnight) and it wasn't crowded. The midnight shoppers made my experience pleasurable, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy! It was about 4 by the time we wandered out. It was busy, but not chaotic. And I got my tree, so all is well. :)

      Delete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...