Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

{Homemade Snow Cone Syrup}


It's finally feeling like Spring around here. Let me tell you, it was a long time coming. Winter seemed to start early this time and lasted well into April. As much as I love snow, cocoa, and cuddling up by the fire, I was ready to move ON.

The Bean's 16th birthday, as I mentioned, was in April. We wait until late May to have the party so I'm not over run by 20 teenagers in my house. No and thanks. Some years the weather around his birthday is perfect. This year? Yeah, totally glad we are having it in May. It was COLD. Now, I just have to wish the rain away for that weekend.

I'm having food 'bars' for his party. It's his 16th, it's going to be pretty major.

I will have a full report on his party later this month, but one of the bars is a Snow Cone bar!

Snow Cone syrup is pretty spendy, and I figure we'll go through quite a lot. I did some snooping around the internet and found homemade syrup.

ALL of it called for 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water. That seemed like a LOT. So, I tried it with 1 1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar. Still SOOOO sweet. SOOOO sweet. I can't imagine the 2 Cups.

In the end, I settled at 1 cup sugar 1 cup water... and, it's good.

I have one of these


and it works great, but it's totally not necessary if you have a blender that will crush ice, or a fridge that spits out crushed ice. Bean won this in a costume contest at church (80's Party, whut's up!).

So, you need just a few things for this: Sugar, Water, Crushed ice, & Koolaid packets.

I recommend heating your water in the microwave instead of on the stove top. If you let it boil with the sugar in it, it will thicken. It's just easier to heat a cup of water in a microwave save bowl/mixing cup.

Once your water is boiling (takes under 3 minutes in my microwave), remove it (carefully, cause it's boiling!) and add sugar. Whisk until dissolved. Then add in 1 packet of Koolaid (or other drink mix). These are the little packets that cost like 20 cents. Whisk until dissolved.

Allow to cool.

That's it!

I like to boil/mix/cool mine in this. It's easy to pour into the bottles when cool.

Oh, and the bottles? Just water bottles with squeeze tops (I saw this idea online somewhere).  I dressed mine up with scrapbook paper.


To fill a water bottle this size (24 ounces), you will need two recipes per bottle.


This is super yummy & so easy. Not to mention inexpensive! Instead of $3 on a small bottle of syrup from the store, you are looking at around 75 cents for a large bottle. Woot!


An excellent summer treat, of course! Just think of all the different flavors you can make.



Can't wait to share the rest of the party with you, it's happening in a couple weeks!

UPDATE, the whole party is now posted here.

Tina


P.S. If you haven’t already,  you can ‘like’ my Facebook page here, and follow me on twitter here, and you can follow me on instagram here.

Linked up at 30 Handmade Days Pity Party 


Homemade Snow Cone Syrup


1 cup white granulated sugar
1 cup water
.22 ounce packet koolaid drink mix
(store brands are usually .15 ounce and work fine too)


Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a microwave safe bowl or large measuring cup. Remove it carefully and add 1 cup of sugar. Whisk until dissolved. Then add in 1 packet of Koolaid (or other drink mix).  Whisk until dissolved. Allow to cool fully. Serve over crushed ice. Store leftover syrup in refrigerator.



6 comments:

  1. These are great!! Love making my own syrups. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and I gotta say that I made quite a mess the first time that I made snow cone syrup but in the end, it was pretty darn tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fantastic Ideas..I am going to do this for my grandkids they love snowcones

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I like this recipe better than having to use corn syrup by far! Thanks so much for sharing! Also taking the recipe in half was super smart and healthier :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe and for the tip on using water bottles with the squeeze top!

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...