Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

{Travels to Tennessee and... Pancakes}




At the end of May we took a little 3 day trip to the Great Smoky Mountains.
In the 20 years we've been married, this was our 4th trip. Our first being our Honeymoon. 
Bean has been there 3 times now too, but barely remembers the first two (he was like 4 and 7 at the time).

While we didn't go this time, having been twice before, I do recommend Ripley's Aquarium. Also, I've heard from numerous people how wonderful Dixie Stampede is, but I'm afraid in all our trips, we've never ponied up the cash needed to go.

While the Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge are terribly touristy, our favorite parts by far are the scenic drives.






 
Our favorite drives are Roaring Fork & Clingman's Dome Road. We did the ever popular Cade's Cove drive, but there are just too many people on that one. No thanks. Took us 2 hours to go 11 miles. Not fun. We also saw exactly zero wildlife.



 We decided NOT to do that last trail. Gee, not sure why...



Also, this was the view from our cabin, and really... you can't say no to that.


Now, we did do some touristy things, because when in the Smokies...

We went to Wonderworks, which is a cool sciency, interactive type museum. 






I didn't take a lot of photos, 1. it was dark, and 2. I allowed myself to do something this vacation that I've never done before. I kept my big girl camera in the car. I didn't have it plastered to my face the entire time. I wanted to actually BE in the moment. And you know what? It worked. I used my iPhone to snap at least 1/2 of the photos on this trip. It was good. I liked it. I recommend it. For our big Disney/Potter trip next year, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Or getting a tiny point and shoot camera. Hauling Martha (my camera) around gets tiresome, always worrying about capturing everything gets annoying. I mean, I love you Martha, but you may just stay home from now on. Sorry, not sorry.

After Wonderworks we went to MagiQuest. Which, ok, it's a little cheesy, and a little kiddie, but you know what? We likey.

They had a combo pack there where you could get into MagiQuest, Blacklight Golf, Mirror Maze, and Laser Maze for $19.99/each. And so... we did.


 I love this face he was making. He truly enjoyed it. Ignore that face.


 The Mirror Maze was Bean's favorite.


And blacklight golf is always fun. Especially if you happen to be wearing an awesome shirt.



The guys also did a little Go Karting


Gatlinburg Strip at night. Every time we go, including our Honeymoon, we eat at Shoney's. I'm not sure why, it's just tradition. Food is good, but, you know, not fabulous.



We like to stop at Baskin Robins too!



and it was great closing the days like this



 (uh, these are both taken with my Big Girl Camera. LOL).


Now, while there, we ate a lot of ... as you may have guess from the title, pancakes.




 But lemme just tell you, this phrase was uttered each time: "These aren't as good as Grammy's".

Well, I have good news for you all, I have that recipe right here on this very blog. Yes, yes I do.


Our other favorite treat there was KaramelKorn from the Gatlinburg Strip. It was delicious but STUPID expensive. I have a recipe for Caramel Corn too. You're welcome.


And so ends our trip. Quick, but fun family time.

Oh, what? You wanna see Road Trip photos? Really?

REALLY?

Okay.... but don't say I didn't warn ya.


                                      


 Yes, we are fully aware we are dorks, so at least there's that...

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I was there two years ago and want to go back soon.

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...